Monday, November 16, 2009

Christmas in Robertson

For the past five years, I have had the pleasure to celebrate Christmas with a special group of children.  These children have become such an integral part of my and my family's lives.  So much so, that Annibelle has asked on Saturday why we can't go and stay with them, because it is so nice having so many friends. The innocence of her question really struck a cord with me. 



Back to my story!  For the past five years, myself, Susan van Rooyen a collegue of mine, and a host of other collegues and friends have hosted an annual Christmas Party for the children at The Herberg Children's Home in Robertson.

I started the project precisely 6 years ago, where I wanted to give every child a Birthday present and also a Christmas Present, after reading in a magazine about a man that was also in a Children's home, and he never received a birthday present or a Christmas present.  I contacted The Herberg Children's Home at that stage, but because it was allready too late for 2003, we decided to start off in the new year of 2004.

Now five years later, we have involved so many people with the children's home, that I cannot even start to name every one by name.  I will need a seperate post just for that!

About three years ago, Edwin and his collegues from ABSA in Worcester Mall became involved and started sponsering the food, refreshments and entertainment for the children on our annual Christmas function.  With such a team behind you, how can you not give these children the time of their lives?

The Children enjoying themselves on the jumping castle


Nothing as nice as cooling off on a hot summer's day!


Children being children....


WWoooohhhoooo!!!!!!


Waiting patiently in line!



 The most organised house that I have ever seen!  These toddlers lined up, got their food, and sat quietly enjoying there supper!

 

Enjoying a braai, as it is not everyday that they can enjoy a treat like this!


This event is one of the most anticipated events of the year, and as you can see from the few photos above, you will see why.  We ensure that every child receives a present, specially chosen for him / her.


 
 


This year, my friend and her husband also decided that they wanted to get involved, and they actually bought every child a gift in the children's home.  Thank you Riaan and Carla Kotze.  You will never know what this means!  Not for me, but for these children.  Carla bought and individually packed all 123 gifts. Here she is busy giving out the presents to every child.




And now, a few photos, to show you how much talent there is amongst these wonderfull children.



 

 

 






Lastly before I finish, I would like to thank all the staff at The Herberg Children's Home.  Every single person working there is a special kind of person.  You show these children that there are more in live than being hurt and abandoned by those that is suppose to protect you.  You show them that love comes naturally and that they don't have to do anything to earn it, that being a child is enough.

I can't visit Robertson witout crying.  And everyone that knows me, knows that I just love crying.  But this is different.  It is easy to buy a child a gift.  It is easy to give a child a gift.  But I have learnt over the past fiv years, that these children love receiving these gifts, but the crave the interaction more.  The love the attention and the interaction with people more than the gifts that they receive.

So today I am thankfull that I can share this journey that I am priviledged to be part of with all my visitors to my blog.  I also now want to challenge you.  Make a difference out there.  Become involved.  It does take time, and yes, most certainly it does take money.  But the rewards that you receive is so much more.

Thank you for reading my post, and thank you to everyone that make our project successfull every year.  I would love to name everyone, but I just cannot do that.

On this note, I will now say goodbye.

Have a splendid Christmas Season! 

2 Please leave comments here:

Jeanette November 17, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Absolutely wonderful work that you do with them!! How very special Natacha!

Damaria Senne November 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

Fantastic work you do there, Natacha. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

About This Blog

I work full time working mother of two young children. I enjoy sharing my love for photography with my clients!

My blog is a collection of most of my shoots that I have done since I started my photography journey in 2007. Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from visitors, so please feel free to leave a comment.

Contact Natacha

084 621 6762

or

natacha@natachawadsworth.co.za

Visitors

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP