Saturday, January 9, 2010

Drakenstein Lion Park

We visited the Drakenstein Lion Park yesterday. A drive of approximately 30 minutes from Cape Town, will land you in the beautiful valley of Paarl, which is part of the Cape Winelands.

As you can imagine, the park is worth a stop, and not just for international visitors.  I can assure you, that even if you are from South Africa, you will still enjoy a visit to the Park alot.

My children enjoyed it tremendously, even though it was very hot and windy.  As you will see from the photos that will follow, it was in full sun, and for some of these Lions (two were only rescued last month) are still struggling a little bit in the heat.

Yet, I think to them the heat is much more bearable than being held captive in a small dungeon like cave where they came from before they were rescued.

Even if you are not an animal lover, these creatures has the enigmatic power to literally bring you to your knees.  Majestic, awesome, powerfull, magnificent etc.  There is not enough words to describe these animals to you.  You walk through the camps where they have been set free, and your legs gets tired, but you can't stop.  I felt like a child that was let loose in a candy store.  I wante to run from the one enclosure to the next and back to the previous one.

At one stage, the one male starting roaring, and my word....  To hear that, to feel that....  It is indescribable!

The Lion Park is extremely affordable, from the entrance fee to the snacks and food that are for sale. We even bought the children each a small lion, as it was so affordable.

Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays at four in the afternoon the lions are fed.  We did not know what to expect, but was quite excited.  They are fed chicken (dead ones).  We had a good laugh at the KFC Lion Park way!

Between my husband and myself we took more than 300 photos, so I am going to show you a lot of photos!















 







 

 





 
  






















 

 

 

 

 

 




 

 


 And while they were being fed, a few predator birds were making the rounds for the left overs.

Thanks for visiting my blog!


2 Please leave comments here:

Anonymous,  January 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM  

I love these images Tach, and looks like you guys had such a great time!

About This Blog

I work full time working mother of two young children. I enjoy sharing my love for photography with my clients!

My blog is a collection of most of my shoots that I have done since I started my photography journey in 2007. Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from visitors, so please feel free to leave a comment.

Contact Natacha

084 621 6762

or

natacha@natachawadsworth.co.za

Visitors

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP